Friday, March 13, 2009

hypocrisy of proselitization

This e-mail is for any member of the three major universalist religions that exist in the world for those of you who don't know what those are : Islam, Christianity and Buddhism. A universalist religion is one that thinks it is the only correct religion and anyone who doesn't agree with their particular sect is wrong, usually condemned to Hell, and often these religions actively seek converts. Now to talk about the ethics of conversion is more along a theological discussion and I am obviously biased towards the views of my own religion. However without discussing the ethics of proselitization, one is still able to consider the individuals who go out trying to convert people to their particular faith. Jehovah's witness jokes abound along these lines, but how many of you have ever taken the time to discuss religion with these guys? I have, when they come to my door I make it a policy to keep them there as long as I can until they say" excuse me, it's been nice talking to you but the rest of my group left and I have to go now". But I don't keep these people there just to waste time I discuss religion with them enthusiastically and give them their fair shot at converting me. However as soon as we start talking religion I realize that these guys are ignorant of their religion, I'm sure not all of them or just everyone I've ever spoken to, and I go out of my way to find them. These "professional converters" are just trying to get me to "sign on" so to speak, I usually can reference and quote the original and new testament better than they can. What's more is when I ask questions about their religious views in contemporary times I draw blank looks. The hypocrisy of proselitization is that the proslitizer's don't really care about their religion at all, they seek only to get numbers whether they are true believer or not. So what's the point? what is the point of getting someone to say "I believe this" if in their hearts it's not really true. Especially for the religions that believe in omnipotent God(s), The divine figure would obviously know the humans false belief, so again what is the point? For any of you who happen to read this blog and believe in the need to Proslitize or convert others to your religion at the very least consider a few simple facts 1. are you knowledgable about your religion to convert someone?2. Do you care whether they have any faith in what you say or do you just want another "player on your team"? 3. What gives you the right to force your beliefs on someone else?

No comments:

Post a Comment